Tuesday, April 24, 2007


Bring the Hot Dogs, I gots the Fire

And then some! One small burn pile plus an unexpected wind equals one fire gone wild. I was working down at the burn pile, and the wind picked up. It blew for a few minutes, so I decided to go up and take a look at the upper hill. When I got clear of the smoke from the lower fire I could see that the upper hill was ablaze. I dropped the chainsaw, ran like hell to the truck, grabbed the McCloud and water can, ran like hell again, and started fighting my screw-up! I worked it from one side while the other side burned like crazy. The fire was popping and hissing, and I could hear it roar when it really started taking off. The wind shifted and blew smoke right on top of me and nearly choked me to death. My eyes burned, I couldn't breathe, I gagged from the smoke, and I never knew that humans could make so much mucous.

I fought it alone for about 20 minutes and I realized that I was outnumbered, so I called 911. The local Volunteer Firefighters were there in about 15 minutes, and I was glad to see them. They put the water cannons on it and had it under control in 10-15 minutes.

Smooty asked me where the flames were in the pictures, and I had to explain to him that I didn't think it would have been appropriate to snap a few cool flame shots while the whole damn knob was burning.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home